Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Juggling Videos
 Juggling Videos
 World Record: Triathlon Juggling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  22:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the video:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Enjoy,

Joe

Joe S.

Mike Fisher
Level 3

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:59:52  Show Profile  Send Mike Fisher a Yahoo! Message Send Mike Fisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice....
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  18:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, you are almost famous! Your video is being passed around by jugglers on Facebook. Some famous jugglers are saying very nice things about your accomplishment! You've lost a lot of weight with your training haven't you?

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

pompboy
New/Lurker

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Joe! Amazing feat!

I still personally can't get into Joggling, Swuggling, or Buggling. Just not my thing I guess.

Questions from the peanut gallery:

How many drops did you have overall and in particular during the cycling section?

cheers - Warren
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  22:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, Dave. It's nice recognition. It's a unique feat, but it's nothing extraordinary, I just happen to be the first person to put it all together and give it a go. Lost weight? That's a nice compliment. I never did get as strict with my diet towards the last couple of months before the race like I had planned, but I still maintained a decent weight. I guess the training helped.

Thanks, Mike! I'm representing the redneck area of Florida, haha!

@Warren: Joggling is by far the best of the three movements. The other ones work together, but they're not even close to how easy and smooth running and juggling go together. I'll always be into joggling because of that. The triathlon juggling was just a one time deal just to do it. I had no drops on the bike or run. I had some on the swim which I knew I would have (didn't count, but probably 3-5). I would joke around thinking to myself early in my training whether a drop in the swim counted, because technically it didn't hit the ground ;) It only hit the water! haha... So I guess you could make a silly argument for there being "no drops" in swuggling because the water saves you! lol
The drops in the swim are so easy to recover from, so it wasn't something I worried about. The bike drops though, would have cost me a bit of time and energy, and would be a nuisance to turn around and stop to go get the ball. I spent a lot of time doing various two in one hand and four ball fountain drills to help me get it very solid, which helped.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  16:13:17  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Joe, I would argue that it is extraordinary. There is a reason that it hasn't been done before you did it. People that achieve greatness are a special breed. Not everyone has it in them to make a goal, put the time into training for the goal, then actually achieving the goal. The world is definitely not filled with people like you in fact it's the opposite. Complacency reigns king here. I seriously thought it was one of the coolest juggling feats I ever saw not to mention creative as well.

A.G.

Art the end result of perception, wisdom, intelligence, discipline, hard work, passion, luck, accident, and coincidence.

A very smart unknown source
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  23:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Anthony. That's pretty extraordinary to hear that from you. If someone would have told me I would be getting a compliment from you on my jugglng accomplishment like that 5 years ago when I got back serious into juggling, I would have died lauging. The man who has surpassed all others in juggling skill, is now heaping accolades on my flutter kicking and juggling for 1/4 mile (which was hard as hell by the way), biking and juggling 2 in 1 hand pattern for 1 hr on a bike in hazardous unsupervised road conditions for around 17 miles, and joggling 4 miles to the finish. I don't get a big head about it at all, it's just pretty surreal and funny for me to hear you give that kind of praise.

The part about goal setting you mentioned is what I feel most confident that I am proud of. I have always been pretty good about setting goals and sticking with them to achieve them. I went through a lot of hurdles and challenges during the 10 months of training for this. I am proud of my dedication and creativity, and the problem solving to find the most efficient ways to complete the task. I learned a lot too. I learned about following your own path about achieving a goal based on what works for you. Several people, mainly jugglers, when they saw my training video would ask questions about why didn't you do this or why didn't you use that, or you should have blah blah blah... They were arm chair philosophers trying to give advice about something they know nothing about. Their suggestions were an example of "some things that look good on paper, don't necessarily translate into good practice." I took plenty of time to research and test what works and what doesn't with this goal. I researched the conditions of the race and every detail down to how to hydrate properly and easily, how goggles affect the swimming and juggling, how a swim cap affects it, etc, etc. Basically, I learned to follow the advice that Dean Karnazes, a famous ultramarathoner reminds people of: "Listen to everyone. Follow no one." That's what I did for this goal. I learned to accept risk and to mitigate it as best you can. I learned to trust your own training and inner drive. There are so many lessons and learning opportunities I took from this journey.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Kozo
Level 2

New Zealand
125 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  03:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Kozo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is awesome Joe, Congratulations!

Kozo

Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  09:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, this is your competition! You may have to step up your game.

If anyone wants to help Bob and Trish raise money for the Special Olympics, send a little money their way. It is a good cause, don't you think?

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Dave, I knew they were training to juggle a triathlon a long time ago. I wanted to tell you way back, because I remember you saying that the chances of anybody else doing one before me or doing one period were so slim (see my Triathlon Training Video post for your funny quote and prediction about this) :) I knew there would be at least a few jogglers attempting it once I completed mine.

I wish them the best in the race and fundraising. I just hope they pull it off, because the USA Tri organization already stated that juggling cannot be performed in their "USA Tri" sanctioned races, and their race is sanctioned. That is why I chose a "non-sanctioned" race. I am keeping my mouth shut about it, so their plans don't get spoiled.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  19:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Salter

Yeah, Dave, I knew they were training to juggle a triathlon a long time ago. I wanted to tell you way back, because I remember you saying that the chances of anybody else doing one before me or doing one period were so slim (see my Triathlon Training Video post for your funny quote and prediction about this) :) I knew there would be at least a few jogglers attempting it once I completed mine.

I was right, wasn't I? You did it way before they are going to do theirs!

Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  21:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, yeah, "you're right" Dave ;)

Step up my game huh? I'd destroy them both in swuggling, they'd own me in the running part, and they'd get "cool" points with the unicyle juggling, but I'd easily beat their time on my bike. If they did the same exact race I did, the running might be comparable because after swuggling in the gulf of mexico for 22 minutes it tends to weigh you down, plus the 16.2 mile bike on top of that. They are fast with running alone, but not sure how they do with triathlon endurance. It'll be interesting to see. Doing it in the pool is way easier than the gulf. Their race is shorter too. The unicycle juggling is going to make it tough though, after doing the swuggling, so hats off to them for going for it.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  21:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Salter

Haha, yeah, "you're right" Dave ;)

Step up my game huh? I'd destroy them both in swuggling, they'd own me in the running part, and they'd get "cool" points with the unicyle juggling, but I'd easily beat their time on my bike. If they did the same exact race I did, the running might be comparable because after swuggling in the gulf of mexico for 22 minutes it tends to weigh you down, plus the 16.2 mile bike on top of that. They are fast with running alone, but not sure how they do with triathlon endurance. It'll be interesting to see. Doing it in the pool is way easier than the gulf. Their race is shorter too. The unicycle juggling is going to make it tough though, after doing the swuggling, so hats off to them for going for it.

Joe S.

Well, with all do respect to a World Record holder, they will be doing three balls on the biking/unicycling part, while you did two on your bike.

Did you see some times to compare your swuggling to theirs?

Yeah, I bet your legs are like rubber after swuggling!

I'm going to work on normal triathlons, first. I am a swimmer, runner, then a biker, in that order; but, I don't do overheads or juggle on my back, so swuggling would probably be my weakest. I can unicycle pretty well and juggle at the same time, but that would be my second weakest part, and joggling would most likely be my strongest.

I'm never going to give you any competition, though.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  23:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, kudos for them to do it on a unicycle. That's all good. But, for me, a bike with two in one hand was the way to go. For various reasons.

I've watched their swuggling videos, and from seeing them I am simply making a pretty plausible deduction that my swuggling is more proficient and faster. I trained to swuggle for many more months than them and I can easily tell their speed and control of it. But, no I haven't broke out a stop watch and compared. All I know is that their 300m pool time and my 400m open water time won't be a simple comparison if you just took 100m off my time, because the open water is different than a pool. Kinda like comparing someone doing a 7 ball cascade in a jungle full of hot sun/bright light/busy background/etc. versus someone doing a 7b cascade in an air conditioned raquet ball room. The main differences are that open water current takes you back and forth on a curvy path (especially when you're not looking where you are going) so you're actually swimming more distance than if going in a straight line, there are no visual cues in the air as to where you are, and it's just plain scarier psychologically. Oh, and throw in some waves and other manmade or marine distractions and you've got some challenging conditions.

Glad to hear you are eyeing some triathlons. My last one was for the Korean tv show "Star King" in June and I think that's enough for me for a while.
Swimming is great for you, I admire good swimmers.

Joe S.

Edited by - Joe Salter on 07/26/2012 23:13:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2