Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Siteswaps
 Siteswaps
 Most productive way to practice?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JackOscar
New/Lurker

3 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  08:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, currently I'm pretty much only practising (more like trying to learn) 744 for about 30 minutes every day but I feel like progress is really slow. I've been trying to get 744 down for like a month but I can still only get 3 rounds like every 5th time and 2 rounds every 3rd or so.

Is this the best way to practice or should i train several different things at the same time? Like 3 diffrent 5 ball tricks 10 minutes each rather than 1 trick for 30 minutes? Wich is more productive, one trick at a time untill you have it down or preactising all the tricks you want to learn at once?

Acrane
Level 2

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  13:39:03  Show Profile Send Acrane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately "you get out what you put in" is a very vague law, especially since physics are eternal and your mind and body are temporary and barely understood. So 30 minutes of one thing sounds like a great way to improve something the quickest, but in practice seems to be the slowest way.

You need to treat juggling like other physical feats that have much more research put into them such as weight lifting, stretching, running, etc. Let's say you were working on improving your bench press - it would make sense that you should just do a lot of bench presses, but in reality you would need to train many different muscle groups from head to toe to see the most improvement. Stretching is the same story. You want the splits, you'll have to stretch more than just those hamstrings. You want to run and jump higher, then you'll need more than just leg exercises. All of this is the same with juggling - to become great in one trick, you'll need to learn many more from head to toe.

I'd go with the 3 tricks for 10 minutes each.

Also, I'm a big fan of timeboxing. Practice a trick 5-15 minutes and move on. Every 25-50 minutes take a 5-10 minute break and then get back to doing more tricks. This also helps a lot if you have a chaotic day and can't fit in one giant 3 hour chunk of practice. It allows you to break everything up in chunks and get back into the groove at a later time if needed. Not to mention it's helped me with burnout problems.

Edited by - Acrane on 05/15/2011 13:42:35
Go to Top of Page

JackOscar
New/Lurker

3 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  16:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well, I guess I will try this when I practise again tomorrow. Any tips on what other tricks to practise? I'm thinking 6x,4 and perhaps the shower, although that gives such uneven fatigue..... hmmm
Go to Top of Page

Acrane
Level 2

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  19:45:36  Show Profile Send Acrane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even out the fatigue by practicing shower on both sides?

Tons of tricks you can work on - 360's, under leg, backcross, many different siteswaps and multiplex patterns, kickups, balances, technique patterns, overhead throws, mills mess, whatever else you think might be fun. Can also take tricks you already have and add on to them; new ways to get in/out of a pattern, try them in a new body position or while moving around to music.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2