Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Chit Chat
 Polls
 Urge people to call them Clubs or Pins?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  17:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you correct others who call clubs "pins" and does it bother you?

Joe S.

Choices:

Yes, it drives me crazy or bothers me
No, it is not a big deal or worth the effort
Yes, only if they are learning to juggle
No, unless they call them bowling pins

(Anonymous Vote - Viewing results before voting will spoil your vote)

Edited by - Joe Salter on 10/16/2010 00:09:45

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  18:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, you are assuming that "clubs" is the proper term. Granted, that is what I call them and for lack of a better term, so do "Festival" jugglers, or people that we call the "Juggling Community," but it's not a universal term. There are people in the circus that call them "pins."

I usually explain that bowling pins and juggling clubs are different. I mention that bowling pins weigh about five pounds. They are solid wood with a plastic coating. I mention that juggling clubs only weigh a few ounces. They are not made of solid wood and are like the empty, hollow plastic coatings that covers bowling pins. I also mention that juggling clubs are a little longer and thinner than bowling pins.

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  12:01:26  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Dave: Yeah, you're right I was going from the assumption that "clubs" was the accepted name for them. I didn't know that people in the circus call them pins, I thought it was only the general public who are non-jugglers. I know that they're called pins because obviously by looks, they resemble bowling pins.

I don't really have a big problem with someone calling them pins, but when someone is going to learn juggling I inform them that they're referred to as "clubs" if you're a juggler, and "pins" by non-jugglers in general. I know some people really feel strongly about defending the correct term for the object. It's a losing battle with the non-juggling audience, because "bowling pins" and the objects we juggle that resemble pins or clubs look so much a like to them. It's interesting how names and words have a lot of meaning for certain people, it does make a difference.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The people that what to have a "battle" with non-jugglers need to get over themselves. The ones that feel really strongly about calling them clubs are the ones that didn't know the difference themselves a couple of years earlier. I inform groups or individuals about juggling, but I'm normally being paid to do it, or at lease being paid to entertain them, but I'm not on any crusade to inform non-jugglers about juggling. If anything, I want to inform jugglers on juggling, in my own limited way. It's better that they know about things about juggling besides just throwing things in the air. It's good to know about past jugglers, old traditions, etc. Knowing the history of juggling might not help your 7 ball pattern, but it might. The more you know about an interest, the more things make sense.

Generally speaking, not concerning juggling, I have come to realize the importance of certain words and their meanings. Some words are code words, only meant for a certain groups to actually know what they truly mean. Then, there are words that mean a lot to a certain group because of a specific training or knowledge, which don't seem important or mean something different to outsiders. This can cause much confusion and needless arguments.

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  19:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, yeah I think it's a waste of energy to really get upset and go out of your way to correct people who call them clubs. Especially, if it's the general public because they're going to forget what you said and go back to calling them pins or bowling pins 30 minutes later :) I liked it when some juggler said they're called pins when you juggle them, and then they're "clubs" when you drop them and feel like hitting somebody with them (or something to that effect). It was a funny line for an audience.

Language and the meaning we attach to words is very interesting. Just think about some obscure sport or activity that you don't know much about, and I bet you'll use an incorrect word to describe or name one of the tricks or pieces of equipment used in them just because a. you either lack the knowledge of the activity, b. you just think of the word that most closely resembles the visual representation of the object or trick, or c. you just use the word that you've heard the general public use over and over whether it's accurate or not (this is what they call a "meme"). Memes are pieces of culture and ideas that are passed on to others just like "genes" are. A juggling object resembling a "bowling pin" is simply called a "pin" and passed on to others because it makes sense in the mind of the general public. That's all. It sticks. And, is stored in memory and passed on to others.

It's as fruitless as trying to convince people in the general public that juggling is a sport when they hardly ever see juggling displayed as a sport. Just do sport juggling if you like, and then share that juggling CAN be a sport, and go on with your day. In the end, people will remember and pass on the "meme" of juggling that they remember most often which is: it's a form of entertainment and skill done by certain talented people in the (circus, events, streets, special fairs, cruises, etc.). Memes, like it or not, survive and thrive based on their usefulness, collective interest, and ease of transmission to one another. A silly "meme" for the name of the prop people either call clubs or pins, is just an example of how memes operate and some dominate more than others. They can be altered and changed, but that takes time and a lot of collective attention to the meme and its purpose or function.

Yeah, Dave like you, I obviously enjoy juggling and the richness it entails beyond throwing objects in the air. I have started writing a children's book about juggling which I hope to share soon. Juggling is great because it has so many important sub-skills within it: learning principles, relaxation, body control, balance, etc. etc. etc. Yet, as you know, the public usually doesn't care about that stuff, they just want some entertaining juggling and an approachable performer to connect with. But, as I am doing in my book, I think there's a lot of metaphors and lessons that juggling can teach the general public which most people can relate to and find useful in everyday life.

Joe S.

Edited by - Joe Salter on 10/15/2010 19:05:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2