Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Performers Resources
 Show and Business Advice
 The Business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Acrane
Level 2

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  10:37:20  Show Profile Send Acrane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's say that you've sent out the promos emails, and phone calls, and someone says, "We are interested in adding you as an act and wanted to find out when you would be available to come to 'destination'".

Do you just let them know when you can come and the details will be worked out later, or do you bring everything up (travel, money, etc) in one tidal wave of information?

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  14:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acrane

Let's say that you've sent out the promos emails, and phone calls, and someone says, "We are interested in adding you as an act and wanted to find out when you would be available to come to 'destination'".

Do you just let them know when you can come and the details will be worked out later, or do you bring everything up (travel, money, etc) in one tidal wave of information?

A performing friend of mine, not a juggler, told me a long time ago not to hold off on mentioning the price. He wasted a lot of time and effort getting all the other details done, just to realize the people he was negotiating with had a ridiculous low amount they were willing to pay.

If they ask you if you are available on a certain date, check to see if you are. If you are free, start asking them questions. Find out what the venue is like, where is the location, what kind of group you'll be performing for, how large do they expect the group to be (a lot of the time they won't know for sure), how long do they want you to perform, and what do they expect? Once they answer most of these questions, you should have an idea of what you need to charge. If you can't give them a price, right away, get their number and call them back, asap.

Once you tell them the price, briefly let they know what you will do for them for that price. For example, you'll show up an hour before the show, or earlier if there needs to be a lighting/sound check, tell them what you will provide and/or need (wireless mike/special lighting, etc.)

In most cases the details can be worked out on one or two calls or emails. I like to do most of it by email so there are written records and less chance to get something wrong, which is easy to do in a phone call. Even if everything is decided by phone, I send an email with all the details we covered and to thank them for considering me or hiring me.

It's typical that you'll have to wait for them to talk to a committee to get final approval to hiring you. If there is time, get them to mail you a contract, sign it, keep a copy for your records, then mail them a copy. If you rather, you can make up your own contract and send to them. In either case, it doesn't have to be long. Don't add garbage just to make it legal sounding. It basically just needs the date, time, location, how much and when you will be paid.

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Acrane
Level 2

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  22:27:16  Show Profile Send Acrane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think i could have asked for better advice than this. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

tim_marston
Level 1

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  09:05:47  Show Profile  Visit tim_marston's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A cancellation clause is also well worth putting in a contract

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2