Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Anthony Gatto's General Juggling Discussion Forum
 Juggling Topics
 Questions for Anthony III
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  13:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once a topic gets to twenty pages, we lock it and start another topic. You can still go back and read the past questions, but to ask new ones, please do that here.

Iver Tronstad
Level 2

Norway
140 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  15:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the qoute, but I am sure it meant something...

Iver Tronstad
New juggler from Levanger, Norway
Go to Top of Page

kitemon
Level 1

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  15:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did my first 8 ball juggle yesterday and I was wondering how old you were when you did your first 8 ball juggle?

Jeremy Jones
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  16:58:18  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could answer that question for you man. It was a very long time ago. But congratulations to you. That's a great accomplishment, it just takes a little consistent practice to be able to achieve that on a daily basis.

A.G.

Art the end result of perception, wisdom, intelligence, discipline, hard work, passion, luck, accident, and coincidence.

A very smart unknown source
Go to Top of Page

EricS
Level 1

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  18:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anthony,

First, thank you for the new "pro series" training videos on YouTube. They were very interesting. In "real life" I am a professor, so I am continually fascinated by how others teach and learn.

In that spirit, here's my question: After your five ball practice, what do you do next? Five clubs? Rings? Six Balls?

The question relates to what I guess could be called "pattern recognition." Do you practice a single prop (e.g., balls) and go up from 5-9, or do you work five balls, then five rings, then five clubs?

I used to practice each prop separately, but in the last year or so have tried to work the same numbers with different props instead. The patterns (cascade/fountain) are the same, and so are the numbers, but the catches and body positions are different. I don't know if that's a "smarter" way to practice, but I *think* I'm improving more now than when I worked on single props all the way through.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  23:03:28  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, that's an interesting perspective. If it works for you, why not. I'm not sold on the idea of there being one way better than the other to practice. I can only give my theories and what has worked for me and let everyone take it from there. To answer your question, the next thing that I would do after the five ball practice is 5 balls with a ball bounce. Working on a solid run with that, then in and out of six and a few tricks if I feel it. I then continue on to six balls and work my way up the ladder.

There is a reason I do not approach my practice with the same technique as you described. That is because I feel that your body and mind need a certain amount of time to become acclimated with a prop. If you go from 5 balls to 5 rings, to 5 clubs, then back to balls, you might find the feel of a ball may have changed. The reason being that you stepped away from it to work on something else, and you fatigued your muscles by using a heavier prop i.e. the club. It's the same to me as taking too much rest between skills.

Again though, I don't want to discourage your progress. If it works for you, roll with it.

A.G.

Art the end result of perception, wisdom, intelligence, discipline, hard work, passion, luck, accident, and coincidence.

Go to Top of Page

Iver Tronstad
Level 2

Norway
140 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  15:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anthony, over the two last months or so, I have become tired of technical juggling. Not that I think it's not hard, but I don't really like it so much anymore.
Creative juggling however, is the best for me. Always making something new, always finding new things to do, that I think is the best part of juggling. So my question to you is,
what do you enjoy watching the most, creative jugglers or pure technical jugglers?

Iver Tronstad
New juggler from Levanger, Norway
Go to Top of Page

alienghost
Level 4

USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  03:31:30  Show Profile  Send alienghost an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anthony, (this is a short one) what type of rings do you use? Renegades?

I need to get a new set soon and since most flat rings seem to be of similar quality, I would like to get whichever ones you can throw up 11 with.

Thanks for your time.

Ian Miller
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  07:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alienghost
I need to get a new set soon and since most flat rings seem to be of similar quality, I would like to get whichever ones you can throw up 11 with.

Ian Miller

Check here, Ian: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Gerben
Level 1

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee anthony, I asked you before about the backcrosses with rings, and you told me that you never really learned them. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I never saw you doing shoulder throws? I think someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you ever do them?
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  12:10:20  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I never do them.

A.G.

Go to Top of Page

jeremy jones
Level 1

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Click to see jeremy jones's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Anthony I was wondering where I could find TBTB 2 and 3? I've been watching #1 with my dad since I could remember, and I also like the Documentary.

Jeremy Jones
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  21:33:27  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure who carries them other than Naranja in Japan. I don't sell either any more. It's discontinued. Truth be told, it's no longer up to my quality standards of video production. Therefore I don't wish to sell them. I have learned quite a bit and acquired a lot of good equipment for future projects, unfortunately they will not be trick videos though, they just have no substance to them.

A.G.

Go to Top of Page

EricS
Level 1

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  08:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Renegade Juggling still has them available (TBTB 2 on VHS, TBTB 3 on DVD), $30 each.
Go to Top of Page

Tamino
Level 2

Germany
116 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  15:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Anthony, I watched your 7 ball tutorial recently and paying more attention to my body position while I'm juggling seems to be very helpful to get longer runs.
But I wonder, if you used other methods to extend the length of your runs in your early days. Would you consider excercises like continous 5 ball flashes, the 4 ball snake or juggling 6 like 7 as helpful and did you practice anything like that yourself?

Tamino

Edited by - Tamino on 05/05/2010 16:09:39
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  20:15:00  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never practiced 4 ball snake or juggling 6 as 7. I do however feel that they can be helpful exercises. Not absolutely necessary, but very helpful. We used to just take it one day at a time. Monday, try 25 catches, Tuesday, 30, by Friday 50 kind of thing. Nick focused on learning, not making. I can make a trick in a matter of minutes or hours, but to learn it takes time, and to sustain in over a lifetime takes much much longer;)

A.G.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2