Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Chit Chat
 Polls
 Which joggling feat do you want to see happen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which joggling feat do you want to see happen the most?

I believe some of these will happen in the next 20 years. Hint, hint.

Choices:

Someone juggle while running a 100 mile race.
Someone juggle an ENTIRE triathlon (swim, run, bike).
Someone juggle while running across the ENTIRE United States.
Someone joggle the Great Wall of China Marathon.
Someone joggle backwards for an entire marathon.

(Anonymous Vote - Viewing results before voting will spoil your vote)

Edited by - Joe Salter on 12/18/2009 07:55:08

averagejoggler
New/Lurker

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  08:15:53  Show Profile  Visit averagejoggler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the 100 miler will happen in the next year.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

zhorik
Level 2

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  11:05:11  Show Profile Send zhorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather see:

- Someone joggles sub-2:30 marathon
- Someone joggles sub-4:30 mile
- Someone joggles sub-15:30 5K

-George
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  16:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zhorik

I'd rather see:

-George

Those feats would be nice to see. If experienced and fast runners such as Michal Kapral and others continue to take up joggling, then it's bound to happen (just think if elite runners took up joggling).

Speed records are nice, but I would much rather see someone or myself joggle something more exciting and adventurous/odd/appealing. Joggling the Great Wall marathon would be something great in itself. Who cares if you do it in 4:15 or 3:55 time? It's not the point.
Now, when the time comes, which I don't it ever will anytime soon, when jogglers are competing for the best time at the Great Wall marathon, then time might be something interesting to you. But, to me and the average Joe they could care less about that. It's the Great Wall, and you juggled and ran it for 26.2 miles. I've been there, and that would be quite cool to do. People would always find that feat more appealing than doing a sub 2:30 marathon while joggling because it's the Great Wall! Whether it's harder or not than a sub 2:30 marathon doesn't matter... Similar to why the average public could care less about watching you do siteswaps, when they will be thrilled and more impressed to see torches, knives, and other entertaining juggling.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

kennyjuggling
Level 2

Australia
128 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  16:56:22  Show Profile  Visit kennyjuggling's Homepage Send kennyjuggling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100 mile seem possible but I would love to see if anyone attempts the joggling with the triathlon haha. i would love to see that happening. swimming? how would u juggle with that. bike? maybe a unicycle hah, run - easyjob. If it comes in the next 20 years, I would be happy and surprised!

---------------------------------------
Kenny C, a friendly juggler

Go to Top of Page

kennyjuggling
Level 2

Australia
128 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  03:30:22  Show Profile  Visit kennyjuggling's Homepage Send kennyjuggling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha yer.. I would love all of them to happen !

Go to Top of Page

Evan Patterson
Level 2

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  09:32:28  Show Profile Send Evan Patterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd rather see:

-George

I am very sure that the worlds best runners could accomplish theses feats while joggling assuming they put in the time to learn how to juggle nad joggle. The only pronlem is that these super athletes try to break world records while not joggling! Right know I don't think joggling is big enoguh for the big name athletes to put in the time to break one of these records. But I am convince that all these times are breakable. Just think the world record for the marathon is 2 hours 3 min and 59 sec and lets say you add 25 minutes for juggling they would have a 2 hour 28 minute mararthon!

Evan
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evanp

[quote]Originally posted by zhorik

I'd rather see:

-George

I am very sure that the worlds best runners could accomplish theses feats while joggling assuming they put in the time to learn how to juggle nad joggle.

You're right, Evan. I doubt elite runners are going to be flooding in all eager to learn to joggle, anytime soon. It's too much of a fringe "sport" or activity. That's fine with me. But, I don't care either way because I don't do it to break speed records. I am not a "sport" joggler, you could say.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  10:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd rather see:

-George

I can see your point, George. Those accomplishments are serious athletic goals. The choices listed are approaching being gimmicky. While they would require effort and most people wouldn't be able to do them, at any speed, they are more of a oddity or novelty.

It depends on what direction you want to see joggling take. Do you want people to be impressed by a combination of two skills, or for it to be comic relief at running events?

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  11:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

[quote]Originally posted by zhorik

I'd rather see:

It depends on what direction you want to see joggling take. Do you want people to be impressed by a combination of two skills, or for it to be comic relief at running events?

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin

Good point, Dave. Some people will enjoy the speed and competition aspect of joggling, while others might approach it in a different manner. It's usually a combination for most jogglers. I like pushing my joggling skills to greater skill as far as speed and patterns executed; yet when it's done in the social arena I also like to connect to people and make them feel joy and wonder. It would be a shame to go through a whole marathon and not smile or try to connect with another human being, and only focus on your speed and the goal of joggling the fastest. Running, juggling, whatever it is; it's not that serious where you can't lighten up a little and get out of a single minded motivation of trying to beat a time.

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saltzjoe10
...I like pushing my joggling skills to greater skill as far as speed and patterns executed...

I think when joggling first came about, it was thought of as a juggling skill, but people soon realized that the limiting factor was how fast you could run. Joggling doesn't really slow you down THAT much, since you arms are moving in sort of a juggling motion, naturally. You don't have to be a great juggler, but to set records, you have to be close to a world class runner. I believe Owen Morse and Will Howard proved that, didn't they? Anthony did pretty well in the old days, but he would have a hard time setting any new joggling records. Maybe he could set the record for the seven-club mile!

Go to Top of Page

Joe Salter
Level 3

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  21:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Joe Salter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
...I like pushing my joggling skills to greater skill as far as speed and patterns executed...

I think when joggling first came about, it was thought of as a juggling skill, but people soon realized that the limiting factor was how fast you could run. Joggling doesn't really slow you down THAT much, since you arms are moving in sort of a juggling motion, naturally. You don't have to be a great juggler, but to set records, you have to be close to a world class runner. I believe Owen Morse and Will Howard proved that, didn't they? Anthony did pretty well in the old days, but he would have a hard time setting any new joggling records. Maybe he could set the record for the seven-club mile!

That's all true, Dave. Joggling doesn't slow you down, once you get good at it. After finishing the Philly marathon, we talked about Anthony and his joggling. That's neat that he did some at IJA. Would love to see him do 5 clubs for a marathon or a 7 club mile :)

Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

zhorik
Level 2

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  23:43:46  Show Profile Send zhorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Evanp

quote:

I'd rather see:

I am very sure that the worlds best runners could accomplish theses feats while joggling assuming they put in the time to learn how to juggle and joggle.

You're right, Evan. I doubt elite runners are going to be flooding in all eager to learn to joggle, anytime soon. It's too much of a fringe "sport" or activity.

I think these times are doable by somebody that is a national class runner, or close to it. The current joggling world records are mostly help by jugglers that ran competitively in college, but weren't national class. I doubt any elite runners are going to learn to juggle just to start joggling. However I wouldn't be surprised if one of them comes along that already knows how to juggle fairly well, and decides to cut a lot of time out of the current records. I think it would generate quite a bit of press if it happened.

And I disagree that the juggling doesn't slow you down. It doesn't slow you down that much (must less than non-jugglers would expect), but I definitely think it slows you down some, and when talking about "sport" joggling for time, that matters. It would be interesting to collect some data points from "serious" sport jogglers to see how much their times drop off when joggling. If I remember correctly the last time I did the 5K at the IJA festival (maybe 10 years ago), with very limited joggling practice before, I was about 40-45 seconds a mile slower than my normal 5K pace. I'm sure regular jogglers could have a smaller drop off.

-George

Edited by - zhorik on 12/20/2009 14:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I disagree that the juggling doesn't slow you down. It doesn't slow you down that much (must less than non-jugglers would expect), but I definitely think it slows you down some, and when talking about "sport" joggling for time, that matters. It would be interesting to collect some data points from "serious" sport jogglers...

I don't know how interesting it would be, George. I might be for geeks, but most of us "normal" people, we are content to know that it's around 8-10 seconds per mile. Maybe someone might be able to get that down to five seconds.

You used to be very good at Combat and an fairly good joggler, I believe. How do those two skills relate to each other? Does either one help you in regular stationary juggling? Excellent jugglers did tend to be pretty good at Combat, which didn't seem to be an accident.

It's not meant as an insult, but you seemed to be a better combat juggler than in regular juggling, in a relative sense. In combat you held your own with some pretty well known jugglers. You were sneakier than the majority and you used some strategy. Most of the jugglers on here have never heard of Edward Jackman, but I liked watching you and him going at it. I was surprised that Anthony liked playing Combat, too. Those were the days!

Go to Top of Page

adennis
Level 4

USA
1367 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  14:55:14  Show Profile Send adennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kennyjuggling

100 mile seem possible but I would love to see if anyone attempts the joggling with the triathlon haha. i would love to see that happening. swimming? how would u juggle with that. bike? maybe a unicycle hah, run - easyjob. If it comes in the next 20 years, I would be happy and surprised!

I have practiced how to joggle while swimming and biking. I am not going to reveal how I would do it-that's going to remain a secret :)

I can't imagine there is a truly good way to swim while juggling that is waiting to be discovered...especially in open water unless a very high level of skill was involved. Surely every idea would be based on some ineffective version of the backstroke. Why not redefine juggling for swimming and forget about transitions? I think "juggling" 3 water polo balls by throwing them in front while doing the crawl would be more doable and allow for more athletic potential.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

zhorik
Level 2

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  17:15:34  Show Profile Send zhorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
And I disagree that the juggling doesn't slow you down. It doesn't slow you down that much (must less than non-jugglers would expect), but I definitely think it slows you down some, and when talking about "sport" joggling for time, that matters. It would be interesting to collect some data points from "serious" sport jogglers...

I don't know how interesting it would be, George. I might be for geeks, but most of us "normal" people, we are content to know that it's around 8-10 seconds per mile. Maybe someone might be able to get that down to five seconds.

Perhaps I should have written that as "it would be interesting to me." For people that don't run seriously I imagine the times are going to be fairly meaningless and not very interesting.

However, I'd be surprised if it's only a drop-off of 8-10 seconds per mile for even very experienced jogglers. I also suspect the pace drop off varies with distance.

quote:

You used to be very good at Combat and an fairly good joggler, I believe. How do those two skills relate to each other? Does either one help you in regular stationary juggling? Excellent jugglers did tend to be pretty good at Combat, which didn't seem to be an accident.

It's not meant as an insult, but you seemed to be a better combat juggler than in regular juggling, in a relative sense. In combat you held your own with some pretty well known jugglers. You were sneakier than the majority and you used some strategy. Most of the jugglers on here have never heard of Edward Jackman, but I liked watching you and him going at it. I was surprised that Anthony liked playing Combat, too. Those were the days!

I think there's basically zero crossover between joggling and combat. Once you're an intermediate juggler (e.g. can comfortably run 5 balls), your joggling speed is probably 90-95% determined by your running ability unless you do something like drop in a 100 meter race. IMO what's neat about joggling is how the natural rhythms and motions of running and juggling mesh together very naturally.

With regard to combat, there's definitely a very strong correlation to being an overall good juggler. Being a good passer helps as well since it gets you familiar with watching other people while you're juggling, reading their motions and juggling rhythm, and catching trash. Playing a lot of combat helps too! I don't think either combat or joggling help your solo juggling too much. I suppose they might help a bit with getting very comfortable moving while juggling and dealing with juggling when your adrenaline gets flowing, but that's about it.

-George
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2