Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Siteswaps
 Siteswaps
 Olympics and juggling
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

David
Level 4

USA
1154 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  13:10:31  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage  Send David an AOL message Send David a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andrew those pictures are brilliant!

- David Stephens
Just your typical Juggler Next Door
Sponsored by: You must be logged in to see this link.
Behind the Juggler You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Noonan
Level 2

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  15:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't juggling in the olympics just be the Wjf with more people watching and just one competitor from each country? Is there a difference? You would get Thomas for Germany, Vova for Russia, Anthony for America, Toby for Wales etc. and surely it would be just the same as the WJF?

Chris Noonan

Edited by - Chris Noonan on 08/24/2008 15:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Mutton
Level 5

USA
2488 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  19:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Mutton's Homepage  Send Mutton an AOL message Send Mutton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Noonan

Wouldn't juggling in the olympics just be the Wjf with more people watching and just one competitor from each country? Is there a difference? You would get Thomas for Germany, Vova for Russia, Anthony for America, Toby for Wales etc. and surely it would be just the same as the WJF?

Chris Noonan

I was watching rhythmic gymnastics and there were a few competitors from the same country competing against eachother, so no I don't think so.

Andrew Gradisher
Go to Top of Page

Finland
501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  00:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I each country has their own Olympic team. I'm not sure if they have some quota of which they can't go over, though. But for each sport there is a set qualifier performance. If you can top that, then you can most likely go.

Live, learn and juggle
Oh me got six cookies, and boy me feelin grand!
Go to Top of Page

JugglerPeter
Level 2

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  13:50:56  Show Profile  Visit JugglerPeter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of all topics on this forum, shouldn't THIS be in the sports category?

I mean come on, it's a discussion of juggling as a sport.
Go to Top of Page

MrLollige
New/Lurker

1 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  14:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

Sondre, no! There is not a Netherlands Juggling Federation that I could find, but the Netherlands Curling Federation has it's own website with all their information. You are getting way off the point if you start nick-picking about curling, but go here: You must be logged in to see this link. and click on the members link at the top of the page. There are 45 country federations. Juggling has 0 federations![/h6]

I am from the Netherlands, and I never knew we had any curlers in here :p

Anyway, I must say: As far as we know, we are the only country with an annual national open serious juggling competition.

You can find the website at nkjongleren.nl
This is running sinds 2005, it became a registered foundation in 2008.

There are 13 competitions, 15 awards, both artistic and technical competitions.
Also there is an artistic diabolo and an artistic devilstick competition.

So from all countries you could name, you chose the one that actually does have something you might want to call a federation ;)

However, curling is a sport that has no use or fun without competition.
Juggling does. Which makes the need of these competitions smaller. But I can not believe there are more curlers in our country than jugglers in the world.
Go to Top of Page

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  18:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Juggling in the Olympics would not be like the WJF. Why not? Because juggling as a sport requires very qualified judges to judge the competitions, and with the time and effort and resources this takes I am pretty sure they would only go for the competitions in which the winner is always obvious: Numbers, endurance, most 360s in a minute and so on. I doubt they'd be going for a full program like the Overall Championship. Would have been cool though.
Go to Top of Page

Evan Patterson
Level 2

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  09:10:48  Show Profile Send Evan Patterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Juggling in the olympics would be a great thing. However, juggling has a long way
To go before it get or will ever get into the Olympic games. First of all, The WJF cannot get some of the world best jugglers to compete (I am not going to mention any names). Second of all, WJF has trouble getting its events shown on ESPN so not enough people would know about juggling. Third but not least, I don't think the best jugglers right now really want juggling to be an Olympic sport so therefore juggling has a very long ways to go!

Evan
Go to Top of Page

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In about thirty years we might be seeing a change in that tendency though.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evanp

...juggling has a long way To go before it get or will ever get into the Olympic games. First of all...

You are right in your post points, Evan, but I'd say, first of all, the number of jugglers needs to increase a hundred fold, which isn't an exaggeration, before it would ever come close to being an Olympic sport. Even if that was the case, I wouldn't be overly thrilled anyway.

As a juggler, I'd watch it, for sure, but as an Olympic fan, I think there are too many judged sports in the Olympics already. I don't mean having judges to make sure the rules are followed. Every sport has those in some form, but having the judges deciding the winners. When that is the case, there is always a chance of favoritism, cheating, and injustices.

The winner is so much easier to determine if it's who crosses the finish line first, throws the furtherest, or jumps the highest. The rules needed to determine what move has the most difficulty are always long and complicated and are naturally full of errors.

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Evan Patterson
Level 2

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  09:59:36  Show Profile Send Evan Patterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in a number of earlier threads, Juggling competitions on TV is the best way to spread Juggling. For there to be any chance of juggling to be an Olympic game the WJF must show several juggling competitions on ESPN every year. This is a problem because the WJF has only shown a few competitions ever. Juggling on TV will show people that juggling is a sport (no offence to anyone) and that it is a skill that can be performed places other than the circus. Part of the reason in why the juggling world is so small is because many people think that juggling is only for the super coordinated. If people could just get educated about the sport of juggling than I would guess that there is a good chance that the juggling world would grow dramatically! Also juggling is a very new sport. Right know it is 2009 and the first WJF juggling competitions happened in 2004 so by doing simple math, Sport juggling is only 5 years old. Most other sports in the Olympics are hundreds if not thousands of years old. So IMO it is too hard to judge whether or not juggling will ever become an Olympic sport.

Evan
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  10:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...Also juggling is a very new sport. Right know it is 2009 and the first WJF juggling competitions happened in 2004 so by doing simple math, Sport juggling is only 5 years old. Most other sports in the Olympics are hundreds if not thousands of years old. So IMO it is too hard to judge whether or not juggling will ever become an Olympic sport.

I agree with most of your post, Evan, but I do want to point out that the WJF did not invent sport juggling. It was around before Garfield ever picked up a single ball, so your simple math is off dramatically. Juggling as an activity IS thousands of years old. Calling juggling a sport, an art, or a kumquat, doesn't alter the basic essence of what it is, it's just a re-branding or re-packaging of the same thing. It's been called magic and has been part of religious rituals, too.

It's not that juggling shouldn't be part of the Olympics and doesn't deserve to be, but it just doesn't have a snowball chance in hell of becoming one until the number of participants increases over tens of thousands fold, worldwide.

Until the WJF or any organization has 10,000 to 50,000 people attending their events, with hundreds of competitors, talk of the Olympics is very premature.

"A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration." ~Kurt Lewin
Go to Top of Page

Evan Patterson
Level 2

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  17:37:51  Show Profile Send Evan Patterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

quote:
...Also juggling is a very new sport. Right know it is 2009 and the first WJF juggling competitions happened in 2004 so by doing simple math, Sport juggling is only 5 years old. Most other sports in the Olympics are hundreds if not thousands of years old. So IMO it is too hard to judge whether or not juggling will ever become an Olympic sport.

I agree with most of your post, Evan, but I do want to point out that the WJF did not invent sport juggling. It was around before Garfield ever picked up a single ball, so your simple math is off dramatically. Juggling as an activity IS thousands of years old. Calling juggling a sport, an art, or a kumquat, doesn't alter the basic essence of what it is, it's just a re-branding or re-packaging of the same thing. It's been called magic and has been part of religious rituals, too.

It's not that juggling shouldn't be part of the Olympics and doesn't deserve to be, but it just doesn't have a snowball chance in hell of becoming one until the number of participants increases over tens of thousands fold, worldwide.

Until the WJF or any organization has 10,000 to 50,000 people attending their events, with hundreds of competitors, talk of the Olympics is very premature.

I don't understand your point in why Jason Garfield did not invent sport juggling. It seems to me that since Jason decided to have a competition that judged people just off of technical juggling skills then Jason would be considered the inventor of sport juggling. The IJA does have competitions too, but they take into account stage presentation, comedy, and showmanship. So it seems like when you take juggling and put it into a competition like the WJF then it would be the only type of juggling called "sport juggling".

Evan
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  19:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't understand your point in why Jason Garfield did not invent sport juggling. It seems to me that since Jason decided to have a competition that judged people just off of technical juggling skills then Jason would be considered the inventor of sport juggling. The IJA does have competitions too, but they take into account stage presentation, comedy, and showmanship. So it seems like when you take juggling and put it into a competition like the WJF then it would be the only type of juggling called "sport juggling".

Albert Lucas started the International Sport Juggling Federation way before Garfield started the WJF, but besides that, there have always been sport jugglers or technical jugglers. Garfield can only be considered as starting a competition and devising the rules to judge them. You could say that Garfield founded a sport juggling organization, but not that he invented anything.

Go to Top of Page

zhorik
Level 2

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  23:51:10  Show Profile Send zhorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't understand your point in why Jason Garfield did not invent sport juggling. It seems to me that since Jason decided to have a competition that judged people just off of technical juggling skills then Jason would be considered the inventor of sport juggling.

The IJA Numbers competitions have always judged people just off of technical juggling skills. Even Jason agreed since he copied the IJA numbers competitions for the WJF. Just make sure Jason doesn't think you copied any of his competitions.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2