Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Siteswaps
 Siteswaps
 Olympics and juggling
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Adrian Pole
Level 2

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  07:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Pole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I asked a few of my MSN contacts weather they would like juggling to be in the olympics or not, and why.

Yes.
It would make serious juggling more popular, and give the world a view of what sport juggling really is.

No.
Juggling being in the Olympics would mean that what is an unusual, interesting, and entertaining thing become mainstream. It would lose its magic. You wouldn’t get that: ‘’wow, I’ve never seen anything like that’’ response any more.

I don’t mind either way.
But I’d find less regimented juggling more interesting.

Yes.
It would give a great boost to juggling, and make it more understandable for the common person.

Absolutely!
In my opinion, juggling can be very technical and difficult and I think its relevance as a sport is good too, I mean they have beach volleyball as a game in Olympics so why not juggling?

Yes.
It would get a lot more approach…as in, easier to get practice space, more juggling clubs, more coverage on TV, more jobs even.

No.
It wouldn’t be enjoyable enough for the public, unless you got judged by performance values, which wouldn’t happen at a sporting event as large scale as the Olympics. They just wouldn’t do it.

Yes.
More people would get into it.

Yes.
To put more focus on juggling being a sport.

Ady
Sponsored by Oddballs juggling-Britains leading juggling store.

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  08:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ady, all of those opinions are moot. There is absolutely no way juggling will be considered for the Olympics. The process requires tremulously more participants than juggling has. It's not even close. Basically, every country needs a federation that organizes and runs national competitions, then the winners compete with the other national winners. There aren't enough jugglers, worldwide to equal the number of just one nation of the most obscure sport in the Olympics. Take curling for example, there are more curlers in the Netherlands than jugglers in the entire world. Jugglers don't even have one federation that runs a national competition.

I was thinking about the best chance that juggling would have to get in the Olympics, and that would be to get Rhythm Gymnastics to change their rules to allow the gymnasts to do more than two objects. This would allow juggling in, but only for females. For getting it in for males, you'd have to get Rhythm Gymnastics to allow males, too.

The idea of sport jugglers dancing around in tights with a ribbon seems quite funny to me.

Do a Google search on how a sport becomes an Olympic sport and you'll quickly see. I've posted this several times already. It's a shame that the search feature on this forum sucks or you could find it on here.

"I was not a child prodigy, because a child prodigy is a child who knows as much when it is a child as it does when it grows up.
" ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  08:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

Take curling for example, there are more curlers in the Netherlands than jugglers in the entire world. Jugglers don't even have one federation that runs a national competition.

I believe the Netherlands does, no?

quote:

For getting it in for males, you'd have to get Rhythm Gymnastics to allow males, too.

In Japan they allow males. Not that that helps us out though.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  09:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sondre, no! There is not a Netherlands Juggling Federation that I could find, but the Netherlands Curling Federation has it's own website with all their information. You are getting way off the point if you start nick-picking about curling, but go here: You must be logged in to see this link. and click on the members link at the top of the page. There are 45 country federations. Juggling has 0 federations! The point is:

JUGGLING WILL NEVER BE AN OLYMPIC SPORT!

I rarely use absolutes, because they have a way of making you look foolish, but I'm very confident that I'm safe on this one.

"I was not a child prodigy, because a child prodigy is a child who knows as much when it is a child as it does when it grows up.
" ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

nomis
Level 1

28 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  09:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure juggling dosnt have the people to do it, but it does have the potential.

Comparing a juggling routine with any other gymnastic routine, we have more possibilitis and in my openion a better looking thing going on too!

Go to Top of Page

Adrian Pole
Level 2

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  09:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Pole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

Ady, all of those opinions are moot.

Dave, the question wasn't 'will juggling be an olympic sport', but 'would you like'. of course it will never get to the olympics!

Ady
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  10:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up on that "subtle" difference, Ady. It's just when Olympics and juggling are mentioned in the same sentence, there are a bunch of jugglers that actually think there is a chance for juggling to be in the Olympics and dream of Olympic glory. Getting people's opinion on whether people would like to see juggling in the Olympics is the same as asking people, who do you think would win the Olympic weight-lifting gold metal, the Hulk or the Thing?

" ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

JugglerPeter
Level 2

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  14:50:43  Show Profile  Visit JugglerPeter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me start out by voting for the Thing. Hulk is too unpredictable, he might show up with his game face on, he might no. However, Hulk could qualify for a much lighter weight class than the Thing because he could weigh in before the transformation, then compete after. So this gives Hulk a distinct advantage. I'm not sure how easy it is to have good lifting form while in a state of Rage. I guess we'll see in 2012 in London.

I said in RJ that I believe juggling has a serious chance if rather than trying to be a sport like the WJF, it goes for the narrow goal of numbers competitions. There ARE official juggling organizations in many countries, and many of them have an annual 7 ball endurance competition. Also the IJA has been doing the numbers competition for a long time, and has well established rules. Juggling is also very international - in both developed and developing countries. This gives it a significant boost over more regional sports.

However, the World Games would have to be the goal. The World games might be willing to take a chance on Numbers Juggling as a demonstration sport. Then if it had good reception and participation it could become a part of the world games.

After that, we get the entire IOC drunk, take pictures of them in compromised positions, and through blackmail get them to vote juggling into the olympics.

So here is where I agree with Dave. I think Juggling in the World Games is a very legitimate goal if only for the specific numbers competition (because no one argues about the rules - much). But I strongly doubt that even with years of participation at that level that it would ever be considered for the olympics.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Pole
Level 2

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  15:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Pole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How is this chit chat?

Ady
Go to Top of Page

David
Level 4

USA
1154 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  15:56:06  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage  Send David an AOL message Send David a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Pole

How is this chit chat?

Ady

Cause we are debating who would be better at weightlifting, Hulk or the Thing =]

- David Stephens
Just your typical Juggler Next Door
Sponsored by: You must be logged in to see this link.
Behind the Juggler You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  16:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JugglerPeter

Let me start out by voting for the Thing.

The World games might be willing to take a chance on Numbers Juggling as a demonstration sport.
I agree on the Thing, Peter, but the World Games basically follow the same rules as the IOC.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Asking if juggling whould have a chance of being in the World Games is like asking, whose faster, Flash or Superman?

" ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

JugglerPeter
Level 2

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  16:07:33  Show Profile  Visit JugglerPeter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
World games is willing to take a chance on sports more than the olympics are. They're also willing to have sports with lower participation. Do you really think that there are more artistic roller skaters than numbers jugglers?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  16:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check for yourself, Peter, but, yes, most definitely! Look at the list on the link above under IWGA Member Federations. Tug-of-War has over 40 country federations and again, juggling has zero federations. I not only think that there are more artistic skaters than number jugglers, there are more of them than jugglers, period. Think about it, how many skating rinks are there? There is practically one in every small town. How many juggling arenas are there in comparison?

It's not that I'm against juggling, but wake up and smell the coffee. You have to face facts, there aren't that many jugglers in the world compared to other activities. You have to be delusional to think otherwise.

" ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

zhorik
Level 2

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  23:25:09  Show Profile Send zhorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marvel Universe lists Hulk's official strength rating as a 7 (max), while The Thing is only a 6. So of the two I'd have to go with the Hulk.

You must be logged in to see this link.(Bruce_Banner)
You must be logged in to see this link.(Benjamin_Grimm)
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Pole
Level 2

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  02:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Pole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Super man, Dave. Flash is so fast that he would miss all the bends, or, just skid right outa the rtack.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

Mutton
Level 5

USA
2488 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  10:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Mutton's Homepage  Send Mutton an AOL message Send Mutton a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Andrew Gradisher
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2