Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Anthony Gatto's General Juggling Discussion Forum
 Juggling Topics
 Vova's first public message to Gatto :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kasetta
Level 2

Italy
450 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  09:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Kasetta's Homepage  Send Kasetta an ICQ Message  Click to see Kasetta's MSN Messenger address Send Kasetta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the last Gatto's video You must be logged in to see this link.
Vova has posted a slightly mocking comment:

"Great juggling. I bet you could turn those "non-juggling" clips into juggling with a little effort. By the way, "succession" I believe is the word you're looking for in the description. "Concession" doesn't really apply there."

Is it the first public [1] message between these 2 world class (one artistic, one sporting) jugglers?

[1] Vasili, Vova's father, once said on rec.juggling that Vova years ago sent some emails to Gatto...

memento gaudere semper

Daniele Caselli

Chris Noonan
Level 2

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  11:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, not sure entirly how mocking the comment was meant to be, i dont think he meant any offence by it.

Chris Noonan
Go to Top of Page

Mike Fisher
Level 3

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  12:30:57  Show Profile  Send Mike Fisher a Yahoo! Message Send Mike Fisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point of this post is what? Oh, I remember to pummel a deceased equine.
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  13:29:38  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really take offence to his comment either. I thought he really was trying to save me some embarrassment at my incorrect use of a word. Point here is never upload videos after having two beers... things don't come out the way you want them to;) .

He is right though, those tricks are very much possible, maybe if I have a spare ten minutes I'll really try them.

The thing about that video is I am getting some serious laughs out of the comments. "umm both were juggling.. i realy don't see your point," "No, i don't get it... I don't see what is different...
help me pls... ."

Hopeless.....

A.G.

Go to Top of Page

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  13:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I understood your point Anthony, just so you know ;)

Anyway, I still think Dietz' videos are pure awesomeness just because of that.

Sondre
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  15:56:32  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Perhaps tomorrow, you see a 16 ring flash. Or shall I say a 16 ring fla.

A.G.

Go to Top of Page

rhalf
New/Lurker

Poland
2 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  16:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you're not right. Thomas doesn't show full tricks becouse that makes videos boring. This video would be boring as well if you'd just exclude your theory. Short cuts make video more dynamic, showing so many tricks with that frequency is much more entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Jaksi
Level 2

Finland
331 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has the comment been removed? What comment are you talking about?

On the video: great juggling, absolutely fantastic, but I think you (mr Gatto) are trying to pass your views of juggling as the only correct ones. I, personally, consider juggling as my hobby and while I do enjoy juggling long routines full with tricks I have more or less solid, I also enjoy pulling single hard tricks off. I am pretty much with what Vova once said on a youtube video: juggling is what you want it to be. In that video he says that to him juggling is a sport.

In another video Vova does make the difference between "good performer" and "good juggler" I pretty much agree with him.

Anyways it is great that these two world class jugglers can exchange constructive critisism with each other without any1 getting offended. Maybe we'll see Gatto commenting on Vova's videos sometimes? Who knows :)

this is the "another" video: You must be logged in to see this link.

edit. it was just my youtube having a bug.

Edited by - Jaksi on 06/04/2008 17:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  18:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaksi
...absolutely fantastic, but I think you (mr Gatto) are trying to pass your views of juggling as the only correct ones...
Yes, how dare anyone think their views are correct. Everyone should automatically disagree with their own views.

Aren't you (mr Ruohisto) trying to pass your views of juggling as the only correct ones?

"It's not that juggling causes additive personalities, but probably people with additive personalities are attracted to juggling." ~Dave Altman

Go to Top of Page

kiljo
Level 2

135 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  19:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman
Aren't you (mr Ruohisto) trying to pass your views of juggling as the only correct ones?

Although you didnt ask me, I dont think that he is. I think that Jaksi is just disagreeing with Mr. Gatto's video... I dont want to speak for someone else, but that is just how I view it.

Proud to be a hokie.
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  20:09:37  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am merely stating the obvious. If you watched Iron Chef Mario Vitale cook and exquisite foie gras, then went to his restaurant and served pate wouldn't you cry a foul? Or if you hired a contractor to build you a pool and all he did was dug the hole wouldn't you think... hey, that's not the picture I saw on brochure. The reason many of you think this is acceptable to make videos of things that are beyond your level is because you are making videos of things that are beyond your level. You therefore need to justify it by arguing the point, sort of convincing yourself that a lie is true. Try to demonstrate a trick that takes you an hour to nail, see who waits around for your miraculous accomplishment.

A.G.

Go to Top of Page

Jaksi
Level 2

Finland
331 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  20:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I may think that my views are the correct ones, but I definitely do not think that everyone else should feel the same way. Naturally, everyone has their own view of juggling and as I said in my previous post (quoted from Vova) "Juggling is what you want it to be". That applies to every juggler.

Even tho I see why a veteran stage performer and one of the best jugglers, Anthony Gatto, values consistency more than single accomplishments I dont think that is the only way to approach juggling. Arent we allowed to be happy or film a 5 ball qualify? When you do your first qualify your pattern is far from solid.

What im ultimately saying is that I have my views on juggling but so does everyone else, an influencial and known juggler should not be sending messages like "juggling is art, period." to the public, that forces you to think like the others. An effect called "Groupthink" will happen sooner or later.

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  20:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthonygatto

I am merely stating the obvious...You therefore need to justify it by arguing the point...
Yeah, and it's a very valid point. Obviously, you hold yourself to a higher standard than most. Unlike Garfield when asked on the short-lived John McEnroe show, when asked how many balls could he "do." He said 10 balls, but he didn't demonstrate that he could. I don't doubt that Garfield has flashed 10 balls or maybe a little more, but if McEnroe handed Garfield 10 balls, what would have happened? Would he have nailed it on the first or second try? After 20 attempts?

I know I was egging Jaski on a bit, but it's not worth arguing about. Anyway, thanks Anthony for showing us some wonderful juggling and sharing your perspective. You are not the only one that realizes that on line videos are often creatively edited or show one successful run out of hundreds of attempts. I've read other people saying that when they see someone live, their skills are not as high as their videos make them out to be.

As someone that has seen you live a few times, it's nice to see that at least someone can DO what they show on video.

BTW, I liked the comment on your video that juggling was in color and not-juggling is B & W.

"It's not-juggling done in B & W by additive personalities, but real juggling is done by additive personalities in color." ~Dave Altman

Go to Top of Page

GLF
Level 3

USA
610 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  21:28:06  Show Profile  Visit GLF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know I was egging Jaski on a bit,

Dave, don't you think it was a bit unfair of you to egg Jaksi on? Seeing as you are the moderator of this forum, AG's friend, etc. and he is "only" a hobbyist teen, you know it isn't going to be a fair showdown on this forum. Take a look at past arguements with Sondre vs. AG, you and Dick Franco. Sondre basically got bashed and then told not to "talk back".
I'm not trying to stir you or anyone else up by mentioning this, but I'd appreciate* it if you took this into consideration.

*No sarcasm here. I truly mean that I really would appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kasetta
Level 2

Italy
450 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  03:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Kasetta's Homepage  Send Kasetta an ICQ Message  Click to see Kasetta's MSN Messenger address Send Kasetta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ijuggle42

The point of this post is what?

I thought it was clear... "Cool: two world class jugglers comment their respective works publicly!"

memento gaudere semper

Daniele Caselli
Go to Top of Page

Jaksi
Level 2

Finland
331 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  05:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny... I dont feel "egged" hehe :P I dont see anything wrong with this topic so no need to apologise anything.

Anyways Im looking forward to Gatto's comment on a Vova video :P

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2