Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Anthony Gatto's General Juggling Discussion Forum
 Juggling Topics
 That guy playing the piano with his balls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I guess everyone has seen this a billion times before..
You must be logged in to see this link.

I just wonder; Is he very good, or is it nothing very special? I'm not sure, cause I don't even have 3 balls force bounce solid...

Sondre

I throw up all the time.

lethifold
Level 1

40 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:06:27  Show Profile  Click to see lethifold's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Part of me suspects that that is a fake. I'll have a second-by-second look a bit later on. To be honest - all he needs to do is to bounce the balls in the correct rhythm in roughly the right place and people will assume that it is true
Go to Top of Page

Caio Stevanovich
Level 3

Brazil
868 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Caio Stevanovich's Homepage  Click to see Caio Stevanovich's MSN Messenger address Send Caio Stevanovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this guy in a videotape, Just for Laughs is nice...

Well, taht piano is a fake. In a normal keyboard or piano, the balls don't bounce well. It's made probably by wood, I guess, and the music is recorded.

============
Caio Cesar - A brazilian juggler!
Go to Top of Page

toneojuggle
Level 3

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:22:58  Show Profile  Visit toneojuggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you guys catch one time he dropped a ball and no sound came out. Start the video at 1:40 to see what I mean.

Tony
"Practice doesn't make perfect, but it sure helps!
Go to Top of Page

David Cain
Level 4

USA
1049 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:30:37  Show Profile  Visit David Cain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many times do we need to have this thread? This is a video of Wally Eastwood. He stole this act from Dan Menendez. The "piano" is just one big sensor attached to a sequencer. There are no individual keys. The next note that is already programmed into the sequencer plays whenever the sensor is hit, no matter where the ball hits. In other words, the juggler controls the rhythm but not the tone or note. In my opinion, it's probably the best juggling gimmick routine ever created. It's just a shame that several people have stolen in from Dan. Quite a number of people, myself included, play instruments while juggling without any gimmicking of the instruments, but they just don't have the impact that the bounce piano does.

David Cain

Go to Top of Page

Clinton
Level 2

205 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan Menendez...

Keep On Bouncing,

Clinton

(Sondre, you especially may want to check out his "bounce cello" piece ;-)

Edited by - Clinton on 10/08/2006 08:44:59
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  09:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Cain

How many times do we need to have this thread? This is a video of Wally Eastwood. He stole this act from Dan Menendez....
DAVE: True, but Dan doesn't mind, he has benefited nicely from it, but I'll let Steve Langley explain since he was the one that told me the story of why Dan doesn't care.

I think the Yomay's title of this tread is worth having this conversation again. ;-) It sounds very hard and painful. I bet the ears of any non-juggler hearing that some guy plays the piano with his balls, would perk up and make them say, "You've got to be kidding! I've got to see that!"

Dave, a juggler
"Let us make beautiful world" ~Mr Woo, 2005.

Go to Top of Page

Sondre
Level 5

Norway
3549 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  09:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Sondre's Homepage  Send Sondre an AOL message  Click to see Sondre's MSN Messenger address  Send Sondre a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So it IS fake...

But it should be possible to REALLY do it, right?

Sondre

I throw up all the time.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  09:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yomay

So it IS fake...

DAVE: Not really and not really. Like David explained, it isn't a normal piano, but the concept is brilliant. To call it fake is a bit harsh. I doubt if a regular piano with the normal sized keys could be played by bounce juggling, but an over-sized keyboard like the one in the movie Big, with Tom Hanks could be played by bouncing balls on it.

If you think it's possible, try it, but if you don't use your own piano, don't let the owner catch you destroying their piano by bouncing balls on it. ;-) If you work on it, please take a video of it. It will be as funny as your multi-plex eight ball trick, I'm sure.

Dave, a juggler

Edited by - Dave Altman on 10/08/2006 09:59:38
Go to Top of Page

ChrisFowler
Level 4

USA
1438 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  10:02:45  Show Profile  Visit ChrisFowler's Homepage  Send ChrisFowler an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

quote:
Originally posted by Yomay

So it IS fake...

DAVE: Not really and not really. Like David explained, it isn't a normal piano, but the concept is brilliant. To call it fake is a bit harsh. I doubt if a regular piano with the normal sized keys could be played by bounce juggling, but an over-sized keyboard like the one in the movie Big, with Tom Hanks could be played by bouncing balls on it.

If you think it's possible, try it, but if you don't use your own piano, don't let the owner catch you destroying their piano by bouncing balls on it. ;-) If you work on it, please take a video of it. It will be as funny as your multi-plex eight ball trick, I'm sure.

Dave, a juggler

I have thought that it would be pretty neat to have a big piano thing like in Big, but to play it with my feet while juggling(almost like DDR, but actually playing something)

I just haven't gone through the trouble of figuring out if they really have those big things, or where to buy them from.
Go to Top of Page

Clinton
Level 2

205 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  10:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Dave Altman
[snip], but an over-sized keyboard like the one in the movie Big, with Tom Hanks could be played by bouncing balls on it.

Tim Furst of the FKBs used a large keybord on the floor for bouncing and creating simple tunes. No sequencer...just bouncing off the correct notes.

When last I saw it Tim's piano bouncing was just one of many things happening onstage simultaneously. The piano bouncing essentially added the bass line. (Chris - I think Tim also did some "dancing" on the keyboard) As I recall there was also one Brother juggling clubs and creating percussion by using the clubs to rhythmically striking four drums mounted on a frame that was attached to his body. Another club juggler was doing something similar but the drums were fixed rather than on his body. And the final Brother had a space-age suit with sensors that could create melodies when balls were bounced off the pads that were affixed to different parts of his body.

(I could be juxtaposing pieces and images in my mind but it was a musical juggling piece created in a fashion not too different than described.)

Keep It Up,

Clinton

Edited by - Clinton on 10/08/2006 10:26:17
Go to Top of Page

Zherec
Level 2

Finland
312 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Zherec's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somehow i tought that this topic was about this video: You must be logged in to see this link.

-Janne Laakso
Go to Top of Page

icanjuggle
Level 3

603 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if all the jugglers are sick of seeing juggling...then imagine the tolerance of an ignorant public who has seen it just as much and in many cases, more. The appetite for new material is insatiable... in both the juggling community and even more so, the public. You can't learn things fast enough to keep up with it. I doubt that any juggler has seen the piano bit more than just a few times... a dozen at most... not hundreds, thousands or millions. I know both Wally and Dan for many years and I've only seen it maybe a dozen times. After the first time you see it... the edge is already gone... after the second time... that's it and you start to pick it apart and disect it for errors and mistakes. If you guys dont want to see it any more... remember that the public is even less tolerant. FAR LESS TOLERANT! After a few views in the eye of the public juggling plummets quickly from being an amazing demonstration of skill.... to mime status... "not this crap again" stuff. Novelty is everything... if you show your skills to everyone.. the novelty is gone. When the jugglers become sick of watching juggling... it's over. Many of you think exposing juggling to the world will make it more appreciated and that hand delivering it to everyone on a daily basis will make everyone want to do it. Wrong. For people to appreicate juggling they have to get up and leave their homes, buy a ticket and sit through a show to see just a little of it...not remembering when or where they saw it last....with no video or dvd to take home... just a brief memory of it. When you force a steady diet of anything on people it becomes irritating...and then dispised... when it's everywhere juggling quickly becomes mauve carpet and avocado countertops. If you saw AGT, the so called ART of juggling was already well despised by the judges. Some of the personalities overcame that...but the juggling part, in general, was despised by the judges. Now AGT calling everyone again for the next round. They were in Branson Mo. last week... my phone rang on Friday. No thanks! For those of you who are anxious to get on TV... don't be. The money you spend trying to win a million would be better spent on lottery tickets... where at least you have a real chance of winning... and you won't be putting the last nail in the coffin of juggling.
df
Go to Top of Page

fettucinibrother
Level 3

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:29:00  Show Profile  Visit fettucinibrother's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Altman

quote:
Originally posted by David Cain

How many times do we need to have this thread? This is a video of Wally Eastwood. He stole this act from Dan Menendez....
DAVE: True, but Dan doesn't mind, he has benefited nicely from it, but I'll let Steve Langley explain since he was the one that told me the story of why Dan doesn't care.

I think the Yomay's title of this tread is worth having this conversation again. ;-) It sounds very hard and painful. I bet the ears of any non-juggler hearing that some guy plays the piano with his balls, would perk up and make them say, "You've got to be kidding! I've got to see that!"

Dave, a juggler

Yes,
...that piano juggler video was the precurser to the Bliss video explosion. I almost got that one sent to me as many times as I did the Bliss thing, but a couple of year before. I happened to end up having dinner with Dan Menendez around the time that the Wally Eastwood "ripoff" version was starting to circulate heavy on the net. I asked Dan how he felt about someone who basically hacked his routine getting all the attention. He told me that he did not mind at all. Apparently the title of the video file was "piano juggler.mov", and since Dan himself owned "pianojuggler.com", anytime that anyone wanted to try and find and/or hire the performer on the video, they ended up at his site. As a result, his site traffic went way up and he got a lot of work that he would not have gotten otherwise. I was glad to hear that, in the end, Dan was the one who benefitted the most from it. Sometimes the universe has a way of sorting things out the way they should be...
AL aka Steve Langley

PS: I'm with you Clinton...in my mind the FKB, were some of the first to really exploit the idea of combining juggling and playing music on a large scale. And while I am sure that were many more who explored the idea, both before and after them, other than the FKB, Dan was the one who got the most attention for it...
Go to Top of Page

fettucinibrother
Level 3

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:43:31  Show Profile  Visit fettucinibrother's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by icanjuggle

Now AGT calling everyone again for the next round. They were in Branson Mo. last week... my phone rang on Friday. No thanks! For those of you who are anxious to get on TV... don't be. The money you spend trying to win a million would be better spent on lottery tickets... where at least you have a real chance of winning... and you won't be putting the last nail in the coffin of juggling.
df

AGT is trolling hard for suckers this time around. We have received requests thru two of our agents, on the producers behalf, to see if we are interested in sending a video in or arranging a scheduled rehearsal. Wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole. I asked both agents if they even bothered reading the contracts that they were asking their artists to potentially sign...neither one of them had. Oh, what a shock... Typical agents...
AL
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  12:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by icanjuggle
...Many of you think exposing juggling to the world will make it more appreciated and that hand delivering it to everyone on a daily basis will make everyone want to do it. Wrong...
DAVE: Probably true, Dick, but I would love to see a real variety show on TV again. Not a contest type, but some type of show that would showcase entertainers besides singer/dancers. Again, seeing juggling everyday, is not ideal either, but the occasional juggler or circus artist would be nice. The Ed Sullivan Show or the older Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was nice. I think these contest shows will disappear in time, anyway. I think they were big in the 1950's and they are that way now. TV always copies itself. That's why they have so many shows like CSI, cop shows, and lawyer shows. There aren't too many western shows right now, so that probably is the next type of overdone genre to come, that or military themed shows.

I'm all for live shows, too. I wish there were more small theaters around for seeing very talented but not famous entertainers.

And, Steve, thanks for sharing that story about Dan. I also agree that the FKB have combined music and juggling the best so far.

I think a nice act could be done with several bounce jugglers playing a "Big" piano. It would be impressive to see three or four piano player/jugglers play complex songs by bouncing 3 to 7 balls, depending on the "need for speed" of the piece. One person would be limited because of the distance between the keys. There was someone that played drums at the last Groundhog Day Jugglers Festival, which was nice. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name.

Dave, a juggler

Edited by - Dave Altman on 10/08/2006 12:13:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2