Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Siteswaps
 Siteswaps
 Combat Juggling.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IOJuggler
Level 2

327 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:46:16  Show Profile  Send IOJuggler an AOL message Send IOJuggler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only true juggling sport?

Discuss.

-Nick Laffey

Evan Patterson
Level 2

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  20:21:45  Show Profile Send Evan Patterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not like combat. Combat does not determine how good you are at juggling.

Evan
Go to Top of Page

Gerben
Level 1

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never played combat, but I see it as a 'funny game'.
I think there is some skill in it, but I don't think it has something to do
with technical or art-isch juggling
Go to Top of Page

Dave Altman
Administrator

Georgia
621 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:21:07  Show Profile  Visit Dave Altman's Homepage Send Dave Altman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played and enjoyed watching it, too. I don't play any more because I've seen too many Kamikaze players that don't have any skill. They make it too dangerous.

There is a correlation between good combat players and good jugglers, in fact, Anthony is/was an excellent player. One of the best players I saw was Ed Jackman. George Strain, aka Zhorik, is/was very good, also. Being able to control your pattern when moving, making great saves, and being able to catch very high throws helps in regular juggling and in combat.

Another juggling sport that I think is my favorite, is volleyclub. It's played with two person teams like beach volleyball. The strategy involves being able to throw good throws to your partner and difficult throws to the other team, typically, helicopters. Each person has two clubs that they keep and one club is passed back and forth over the net until one team drops it.

"The fifties are the infancy of old age." ~David Frederick McWhorter Altman
..~/!(:*:)!\~..
Dave, a juggler

Go to Top of Page

AlexJuggles
Level 1

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in berlin we play combat twice a week at least at the juggling meetings, and let me tell you it's awesome.
While there certainly is a correlation between being a good juggler and a good combatant (apart from good (club) juggler => juggling for a long time => been too many conventions => good combat player), past a certain level (say 5 clubs) it's mostly about being quick, timing, fast reactions and anticipation.
Yes it's great and yes, together with volleyclub (which is less awesome, but fun as well) and maybe numbers, those are the only two juggling disciplines that actually work as a sport.
Go to Top of Page

GLF
Level 3

USA
610 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:35:03  Show Profile  Visit GLF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Combat is too awesome to be "sport juggling" *evil grin* I think it's the ultimate expression of art... :D

"If you can't stand behind our soldiers and support them, feel free to stand in front of them."

"When you stop dreaming of Batman, then you will be a real ninja like me." - a 5 year old ninja

Go to Top of Page

aaron gregg
Level 2

Canada
236 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  22:33:09  Show Profile  Visit aaron gregg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having played a lot of combat with some of the best players in the world it becomes clear that the necessary elements are juggling skill, height and combat experience. I can't think of a short person ever beating me regularly and the only people who can school me are both taller than me and better jugglers.

-Aaron (British Juggling Convention two-time celebrity fight club winner*)

*Luke Burrage cheated I'm sure of it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2