Juggling Talk
Juggling Talk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Anthony Gatto's General Juggling Discussion Forum
 Juggling Topics
 New WJF profiles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

shadow link
Level 3

Australia
582 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:11:54  Show Profile  Click to see shadow link's MSN Messenger address Send shadow link a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the WJF profiles are starting to come up again, except Jason, he just made a 2 videos with taunts in them at some guy who won't come to his competition.

What do people think of these videos, who else do you hope can compete?

Oh Ivan I liked your video alot, especially the sync patterns, you look you have improved heaps. Is that (8,6x)*, and how much of those tricks are you going to use in the competition.

Don't bother checking out the videos Anthony, you would laugh too hard.

alex
Level 1

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  10:30:38  Show Profile Send alex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the juggling content in the videos is great. Loved Ivan's underleg catch; Vova's just amazing; and Jason manages to combine some very difficault tricks without a pause...

...variously amused/disappointed/puzzled/angry by Jason's vitriolic attack on Anthony I'm sure a lot of folk here will jump to take sides. The way i see it is the WJF is looking for an angle to promote the event and a personal rivalry/grudge is one way to get non jugglers interested. I'm sure the tv execs love it.

That Jason equates "hasn't done a trick" to "can't do a trick" for most (if not all) the examples he does is clearly wrong; so surely he is only saying it to provoke a reaction from Anthony and/or create a stir.

The obvious conclusion is that Jason is desparate for Anthony to compete. This has already been discussed to death here. fwiw I still don't see any compelling reason for Anthony as to why he should compete. So why should he - these videos don't change anything.

Finally, while i applaud the WJF for promoting juggling and especially the work they are doing in schools; i'm saddened by their descent into WWF (not the animal oranisation!) style personality based rivalry. It's just not cricket.

alex.
Go to Top of Page

norbi
Level 4

Canada
1440 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  11:56:53  Show Profile  Visit norbi's Homepage Send norbi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alex WWF (not the animal oranisation!)

y'kno there is a way to get around that confusion. It's not called WWF anymore.

Norbi
-------------------
You must be logged in to see this link.
norbi@norbithejuggler.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

anthonygatto
Forum Admin

USA
4280 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  12:09:39  Show Profile  Visit anthonygatto's Homepage Send anthonygatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't bother checking out the videos Anthony, you would laugh too hard.

Don't worry, I don't keep up with the WJF and who is doing what, like I said, it's not my cup of tea. That Jason fellow can try to taunt me all he wants but the bottom line is he will always live in my shadow and resent me because of it. Anyway, congrats to him for opening this new avenue for the jugglers.

A.G.
Go to Top of Page

NikGoodrich
Level 4

USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  13:00:26  Show Profile Send NikGoodrich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah,

I like Jason because he is very entertaining and very good at what he does. What Jason lacks though, is respect for some people, like me for instance. I took his workshop at the WJF last year and he wasn't very helpful or polite to me at all. Instead of giving me good pointers and showing me how to do the tricks I wanted to do he just told me to do the easier version of the trick and practice more. I could of thought of that Jason! It's okay to be mean on stage to people because it's a character and very funny, yet, off the stage, he needs to be respectful to people and drop the charade there and thank people for enjoying his show and what not.

Nik Goodrich
Go to Top of Page

Mutton
Level 5

USA
2488 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  13:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Mutton's Homepage  Send Mutton an AOL message Send Mutton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadow link

Well the WJF profiles are starting to come up again, except Jason, he just made a 2 videos with taunts in them at some guy who won't come to his competition.

What do people think of these videos, who else do you hope can compete?

Oh Ivan I liked your video alot, especially the sync patterns, you look you have improved heaps. Is that (8,6x)*, and how much of those tricks are you going to use in the competition.

Actually it's the 6 ball sync pattern (8x,6)(4,6x). I'm also digging the new ball stuff, Ivan. Too bad it was somewhat hard to see with the white background. What type of beanbags do you use?

- Andrew
Go to Top of Page

norbi
Level 4

Canada
1440 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  19:31:11  Show Profile  Visit norbi's Homepage Send norbi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was going to point out the siteswap mistake, but i thought someone might call be geeky, but now that it's come up. You can change sides without any special throws or anything, just juggle (8x,6)(4,6x)(6,8x)(6x,4) and it all works nicely, and looks good too.

Norbi
-------------------
Go to Top of Page

shadow link
Level 3

Australia
582 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  00:36:05  Show Profile  Click to see shadow link's MSN Messenger address Send shadow link a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norbi

i was going to point out the siteswap mistake, but i thought someone might call be geeky, but now that it's come up. You can change sides without any special throws or anything, just juggle (8x,6)(4,6x)(6,8x)(6x,4) and it all works nicely, and looks good too.

Yeah I undersould that, but he does too sync patterns with 6+ balls, I was talking about the second one.

I knew it was (8x,6)(6x,4) because I have been thniking about this alot, as I have been playing a lot with the 4 ball (6x,4)(2x,4)* and thought what would be that version in 6 balls. I saw it before on Peter's site but it looks so much better with tight balls.

No there is another sync pattern with 7 balls? That looks something like (8,6x)*, which I have never seen done.

Much of this has been echoed on rec juggling, but its sad that Jason puts these type of videos on Jason's site because for something that aims to be more like gymnastics than clowning, a joke video of rapping and making fun of other comptetitors - well yes it certainly doesn't help Jason's cause.

The videos last year, even jason's one was attacking non jugglers which is fine, were just profiles of different jugglers put to cool music and easy to see. Like Thomas' video, it had a montage of high level, easy to see juggling which gave you the impression of a serious competition. Even vova's one is a little wierd, in that respect I agree with Luke on Rec that norbi's is the best because it looks professional and is all filmed in one session. Although I think I am enojying Ivan's video the most because of his sync patterns!

Norbi
-------------------

Go to Top of Page

norbi
Level 4

Canada
1440 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  03:12:06  Show Profile  Visit norbi's Homepage Send norbi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont know what you mean about the other 7 ball pattern, but the second 6 ball sync pattern is (8,4)*

Norbi
-------------------
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  04:22:11  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
Don't worry, I don't keep up with the WJF and who is doing what, like I said, it's not my cup of tea.

Do you even drink tea?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  04:24:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by NikGoodrich

Yeah,

I like Jason because he is very entertaining and very good at what he does. What Jason lacks though, is respect for some people, like me for instance. I took his workshop at the WJF last year and he wasn't very helpful or polite to me at all. Instead of giving me good pointers and showing me how to do the tricks I wanted to do he just told me to do the easier version of the trick and practice more. I could of thought of that Jason!

Or maybe you didn't like the work it was going to take to build your skills up to the point where you would be able to do the tricks you were trying?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  04:34:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by alex
The obvious conclusion is that Jason is desparate for Anthony to compete. This has already been discussed to death here. fwiw I still don't see any compelling reason for Anthony as to why he should compete. So why should he - these videos don't change anything.

It seems obvious to me that the point of the videos are to demonstrate how Anthony calls himself an artist and says he has nothing to prove, but then posts videos in which he competes WJF style and even goes as far as to title the videos in a manner that falsly leads one to believe that he plans on competing in the WJF competition. It's obviously satire, but also quite clearly demonstrates Anthony's hypocrisy. That's what I got from them anyway. Why aren't there only artistic videos on an artist's website rather than sport juggling clips on someone's website who claims to only be an artist?
Go to Top of Page

charliedale
Level 2

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  10:10:37  Show Profile Send charliedale a Private Message  Reply with Quote

WHO CARES !!
Go to Top of Page

NikGoodrich
Level 4

USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  13:25:01  Show Profile Send NikGoodrich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by juggle0707

Or maybe you didn't like the work it was going to take to build your skills up to the point where you would be able to do the tricks you were trying?

If anybody knows how to practice it's me. I spend 3-8 hours a day practicing to get ready for The WJF. I had a blast last year and it was put together very well, I had an excellent time and that's why I want to seriously compete this year. I just thought Jason could be a little more helpful with the workshop. I was practicing Alberts and he told me to throw the club under the opposite leg, which is good and all but he failed to notice I was doing something wrong. I was throwing the club from the handle and not the knob so it was really difficult for me to do more than 1 throw. Leo James showed me after he watched me try and told me what I was doing wrong. I kind of hoped to meet a friendly Jason Garfield, too. He was rude to my dad when my dad tried to start up a conversation with him.

So Jason, if you're reading this, here is some advice, just be a little bit friendlier to people, because people really do like you and want to meet you.

Nik Goodrich
Go to Top of Page

charliedale
Level 2

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  14:16:02  Show Profile Send charliedale a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why do you all want to take an art form,take everthing thats a bit unique and interesting about it and turn it into a sport?
Go to Top of Page

Ronnie Tarver
Level 1

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  17:12:57  Show Profile  Send Ronnie Tarver an AOL message Send Ronnie Tarver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok well Jason was really nice to me. lets remember...
jason spent his time making videos so that everyone could learn to be a good juggler too (i highly doubt it was for the money b/c i dont see JUGGLEMASTER 2000 as a source of high revenue).
so when i saw him at the WJF i told him i felt honored to meet him.
kinda funny but he gave me a rly surprised look and just said thanks.. iono how often he's ever really serious w/ ppl..
this guy put in the hours to become what he is--a freaking good juggler.
this guy has popularized transitions and taught us through video technique and training.
this guy wants respect, not for his jokes and costumes and stuff (which he's not bad at, probably due to his innovative and imaginative nature), b/c if he wanted, he could do that funny clowny crap too, he wants respect for what's really important--time, patience, talent, desire.. not artistry..

so he sets up a competition for only the best jugglers (not artists) in the world and one guy who wont show is sum1 who calls himself the best (which he says one shouldn't do) but doesn't stick to callin himself the best artist, he prefers the best juggler. so this artist says juggling should be an art, not a sport, and to say one is the best juggler is also the best artitistic juggling but they're not the same. so he discredits all who dont consider it an art. then this artist/juggler puts sport-like juggling clips on his own page telling us all that a 7 club 7 up pirouette is an artistic expression (honestly). if this guy wants to be an artist and expresses himself thru 7club7ups, that's fine. just call it what u think it is--art.

just b/c jasons movies r really stupid, doesn't mean they dont have an element of intelligence to them..

-Ronnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Juggling Talk © 2000-2005 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2